Total Pageviews

30 Mar 2008

Face To Face Interview

As all you know, this is the “Face To Face” Week, and we have two specials guests. I thought it would be nice to have a “face to face” interview with two of the best fans of both singers: Elton & Billy. The eltonite is GJEJ, well known for his posts on the forums and his knowledge about Elton’s world. The billy joel fan, is one of the greatest joelfan we could find: JFillow. Both have been at a Face To Face show, of course, and I am sure they have great experiences to join us.

So... Thank you both for the acceptation. First… Could you tell us, please, who are you and where are you from?

GJEJ: Just a long time Elton (and Billy Joel!) fan from California.
J.Fillow: I am J.Fillow from JoelFan.com was born and rased in Jersey moved to Atlanta when I was 12

Right. GJEJ... When you became an Eltonite? Remember the first time you heard Elton’s music and what moves you to buy his music? And you, J.Fillow, when you became a Billy Joel’s fan? What moved you to buy his music?

GJEJ: I started liking Elton's music from hearing Your Song. I started buying his albums on a regular basis starting with Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player. Crocodile Rock has always been a sentimental favorite of mine. Never get tired of hearing that song. I have many of my EJ albums on my iPod. I listen to my iPod nearly 5 days a week and most of the time, I am listening to Elton. There's lots and lots of great music to choose from.

J.Fillow: LOL lets see if I can remember....I recall hearing Billy's We didn't start the fire on wjrz back in the day when they played rock music and thought the sound of the song was totally different from what I have heard from other artists at the time....what moved me to buy his music....I was quite young at the time so I wasn't able to comprehend the meaning/messages of the songs but it was the sounds of the music playing that captured me

Ok! Which are your favourite albums, GJEJ to recommend to J.Fillow, or the Elton’s must to have songs that should have been in an eltonite ipod? And viceversa, which Joel’s albums you J.Fillow recommend us and the must to heard Billy’s songs?

GJEJ: My favorite Elton John album is Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, so I guess I'd recommend that album, along with Sleeping With The Past and The One.

J.Fillow: Well being that I am a die hard I could mention his lesser known songs (Nocturne, Streetlife, Serenade ect) however if a person is just getting into Billy's music I would recommend greatest hits volume I & II.

Nice!! GJEJ… What was it like seeing Elton for the first time and how many concerts have you been? And you, J.Fillow, what was it like to see Billy for the first time and, also, how many concerts have you been?

GJEJ: My first Elton concert was in 1982 at the beautiful Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles. I was seated so far back, I could have reached up and touched the moon! I've come a long way since then as far as going to concerts and trying to get decent tickets at concerts. I've seen Elton over 30 times and I have two more concerts coming up in April, 2008.

J.Fillow: The first time seeing Billy was back in 2002 so seeing Billy at a F2F concert was the first I got a chance to see him solo in Atlanta back in 07 NOW THAT ROCKED!

Well, as you know this is the “Face to Face” Week. You both have been in an Elton & Billy show. What do you reminds of these shows? What surprised you, GJEJ from Billy that you didn’t know, and you, J.Fillow from Elton?

GJEJ: Being both an Elton and Billy Joel fan, what I can say about seeing these two in concert is that their set together is worth the price of admission. So much fun watching them perform together, even more so than solo. And the crowd loves it. We were all singing along to Hard Day's Night...seems like every single one of us was singing to the song. What great memories. Nothing Billy did surprised me, since I'd seen him many times in concert at his solo shows. In fact, I became a fan of Billy's in the late 70's, after I'd already been a fan of Elton's for several years, but it was Billy Joel who I saw first in concert!

J.Fillow: What surprised me...hmm well the fact that there were more people singing along and dancing to Elton's set then there were to Billy's set.

Perfect!! For both of you… Which song should covered Elton from Billy, and viceversa? Would you like the two singers to duet one time? A frenetic piano rock song or a ballad and,why?

GJEJ: Hmmm, it doesn't matter much to me which Billy Joel song Elton covers or vice versa, but I would love for these two to record an entire album! Billy's lyrics with Elton's melodies would be exciting to look forward to! And, if they only did one song together, it's gotta be a rock song! No ballads for this duo, please.

J.Fillow: For Billy Candle In the wind (1st version) For Elton...My Life as for a duet a ballad because it's not so frantic and the harmony would be better between the two if it were a ballad

Cause... Which, do you GJEJ think, should be next Elton step in his career? An album with new material? Find a producer for a new album? Do a cover versions like Rod Stewart did in his succesful series “Great American Songbook”? And you, J.Fillow:, what Billy should do next? It has been a long of time that he haven’t been recording new songs out…

GJEJ: I know Elton has said he would never do a cover album, but even before Rod Stewart, Barry Manilow and the like started doing these cover albums, for years I've wished Elton would do an album of 50's/60's songs after hearing him record songs like I'm Ready, Chapel Of Love and, more recently, Rock This House. Of course, any album of new material would be great too! I'm just so happy Elton loves music so much and continues to tour.

J.Fillow: Well for Billy I just want to see him happy he's been touring for over 30 years he's been in and out of lawsuits divorced 2 times so he needs to relax somewhat if your asking me do I want to see a new album yes I do but not if it's at the expense of Billy's health

Great!!! Which is GJEJ, your Elton’s item that you really appreciate, for being hard to get or for the happiness you’ve got to have it? And your appreciated Billy’s item, J.Fillow?

GJEJ: Besides owning his music, I would say my scrapbooks. They are one of a kind souvenirs and all of my memories are in them....and I have some very special ones too!

J.Fillow: A hand signed autograph stating that I was his #1 fan (witch means a lot)

Perfect!!! for you both… do you think Elton and Billy should have been compared finding some kind of rivalry or not, though they both play the piano doesn’t mean they have to be the same kind of musicians? What’s the difference between them, if it’s so?

GJEJ: Oooh, that's a hard one for me to answer. For me, they are just both great musicians with a lot of damn good music between them. There's a riff Elton played in My Life, during the Face To Face concerts, and it just sent a chill down my spine. He does little things like that which are awesome. But, Billy holds his own too. It just boils down to great music that makes me happy.

J.Fillow: Rivalry...I'm already Involved with the whole Yankees/Red Sox Rivalry (for the record I am a Yankees fan) so no I don't think there should be a rivalry

Finally, for both of you… could you tell me your five favourite Elton John’s songs in running order, for my AllSongsList, please?

GJEJ: 1. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
2. Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
3. Two Rooms At The End Of The World
4. Crocodile Rock
5. The Captain And The Kid

J.Fillow: Geez 5 titles? lets see Rocket Man Your Song The One Can You Feel The Love Tonight and Candle In the Wind (England's Rose)

Thanks a bunch both, GJEJ and J.Fillow. That was a memorable experience… share the time with you was one of the bests experiences for me. Really a pleasure to chat with you, people.Thanks for all, again and take care.

No comments: