Total Pageviews

14 Jun 2009

The Eltonite's Day... With Boogie Pilgrim!!!!

It's great to share our time with one of the greatest eltonites we could find out there. He has so many to explain, he has been an Elton John fan since 1970 and realised his childhood ambition by going to America to see Elton in concert Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, US. As the song lyrics says... "But I know that you all want something. Just like Boogie Pilgrim!!!!"

I am from Belfast, Northern Ireland. Retired and enjoying life travelling around the world after Elton at every available concert that I can afford.

Thank you! And when you became an Eltonite? Remember the first time you heard Elton's music and what moves you to buy his music?

Many years ago,back in 1969,I heard "Lady Samantha" on the radio. However it was seeing Elton John perform "Your Song" on "Top of the Pops" that sealed my mission to buy his records and to go too as many concerts of Elton`s as possible.

Elton brings a lot of happiness into my life,and my first album that I bought was "Captain Fantistic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy".

Perfect! What was it like seeing Elton for the first time and how many concerts have you been? And also, could you tell us if you ever have been in touch with him? Have ever exchanged words with him?

My first concert was during March,1979. Elton was on tour accompanied by Mr. Ray Cooper. I was absolutely "spazzed out" to hear and see the mighty Elton John perform in such an intimate venue.

In November 1982 I meet Elton, Davey, Dee, Nigel and John Reid in Scotland at a very smart hotel that I happened to be staying in. Indeed they were all very pleasant,and I got to speak to Elton.

During a concert in Belfast, 1986 Elton stopped the show to dedicate a song for me. It was in response to a letter I had written to Elton whilst in London the previous December after seeing him in concert at the Wembley Pool Arena,London.

The Elton John concerts I have attended total (at the time of writing) fifteen, and there is more to follow. Croatia, London and Paris are all scheduled for this year.

Honestly, my dream concert was realised during January,2008. It was an outdoor show held at the Sahara Newlands Cricket Club, Cape Town, South Africa. The weather was warm and hot. I also met up with another Elton John Forum member(thanks Marian for an unforgetable concert and various trips through Cape Town and surrounding areas of South Africa).

Wow!!! And how should be your dream concert? And which one of Elton's live shows you thought you should have been at, if you could, even back in time?

My dream concerts is without a doubt going to be three this year.One being held at the Roman Ampitheatre, Pula, Croatia. The others are Elton and Ray at the Royal Albert Hall, London and Elton and Ray at the Palais des Congres, Paris, France.

Definately any concert that I would like to have been present at was any Elton John concert held in the United States of America in the early to mid 1970`s.

Right! Which is your Elton's item that you really appreciate, for being hard to get or for the happiness you've got to have it?

It is the programme and the pen Elton used to sign it with. The young Elton was more than pleasant as were his band and manager at the time.

True. What is like being an eltonite in your country? Which are the irish preferences in music and which is Elton's place there?

It is with much sadness that during the seventies and eighties I got odd comments made to me because of my admiration for Elton John.

I think a lot of youngsters are missing out on Elton`s music because they are being exposed to music that is inferior to the tunes of the 70`s and 80`s.

Every time is a discussion between "GYBR" and "Captain Fantastic" in eltonites boards about the best original album. The double album has some of Elton's best ever composed songs and with Bernie's fine lyrics... GYBR may should had other hits if the record company should have released "Harmony", "Roy Rogers" or "Grey Seal" as other singles, along the great success of singles like "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" or "Bennie And The Jets". Do you think that record company made a mistake with that? Should the album may had been a great Grammy winner then, in the same category of "Thriller" by Michael Jackson, for example?

Elton`s management was correct to leave the singles being released from "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" to the required mimimum. The management didn`t over-play their hand,they let word-of-mouth do the advertising,along with the exposure of radio meriting the content of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".

OK! “Bernie and Elton are planning on getting to work in a Los Angeles studio in February of 2010 for a special project. That will be a collaboration of old and new friends and will represent a direction that has been fermenting for years in the heads of its perpetrators”... What do you expect about this new project? What it could be?

Elton and Bernie have a solid fan base (which they should aim to keep). As long as this proposed venture isn`t as frivilous,such as the offering "Victim Of Love", then the proposed collaboration with Leon Russell and friends should prove enjoyable and successful.
However, I am not to keen on duet albums.

Finally, could you tell me your five favourite Elton John's songs in running order, for my AllSongsList, please?

WOW, this one is a difficult question to answer. Obviously my preferances change from time to time, but I will do the honours.

1: Michelle`s Song.
2: Shoulder Holster.
3: Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters(Part Two)
4: Blue Eyes.
5: Where Have All the Good Times Gone.
6: Boogie Pilgrim.

Thank you. Would you want to add some observation or suggestion, or something you want to say to other eltonites?

Yeah,I really enjoy the Elton John Forum and listening to other peoples visits to various Elton concerts. The members I have met in person through the Forum have proved to be good people in their own right. I have enjoyed meeting each and every one of them.

Thanks a bunch, Stephen. Really a pleasure to chat with you. I get funny doing this interview with you, it was an enjoyable and worth experience.

Miquel, its been my utmost pleasure to participate in your questionaire. I know you asked for five favourite songs, but I just couldn`t help myself getting the sixth one in,HaHaHa!!!

That one should be on your favourite list, really... HaHaHa!!! Thank you very much. Take care.

No comments: