Total Pageviews

9 Jul 2010

The Eltonite's Day With... Vera Rio!!!!!

Hello Eltonites!!! We have here another guest on the eltonites' day section. A very wonderful person indeed. If you had the chance to talk with her, you could see how fun she is, how amazing time you have and how much she knows about Elton. Seen in facebook, participating in forums, she always had hte appropiated words to say. As many other eltonites, she was on my list of guests since a long time ago and finally the opportunity arrived. Plase, ladies and gentlemen, a big applause for... Vera Rioooooooo!!!!!!

Welcome Vera Rio, thank you very much for the acceptation, nice to see you.


With your permission, we'll gonna start. But first... Could you tell us, please, who are you and where are you from?

I am a nutritionist (born in March, 25 too!) and I work in a children's hospital in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil).

Ok! When did you became an Eltonite? Remember the first time you heard Elton's music and what moves you to buy his music?

Actually, there are three "meetings" :

The first Elton's song I heard on the radio was "Crocodile Rock", in 1972. I immediately liked that guy with higher vocal ranges, almost a countertenor! (Hey, but I kept love when his voice changed and became almost a "baritone" = "Blue Eyes" it's beautiful!) Singing those funny lyrics embedded in a catchy beat (in the best 50's style);

The second meeting was with "Skyline Pigeon" in the same year (I think) and through the soundtrack of a romantic soap opera from TV that was very successful in Brazil. In that soundtrack it was also "Music and Me" with Michael Jackson. OMG!! I was a teenager(very romantic too) in those times and you can imagine the effect that all this had on me! hehehe ...). I could not imagine that this song became the most beloved song of the Brazilians Elton's fans at all the times!

The third meeting (and that definitely sealed my story as a "eltonite") was through a video of "The Ballad of Danny Bailey" on TV in 1974. Those brilliant arrangements by Del Newman, the "magnificent" piano, the story told through the masterful lyrics by the poet Bernie Taupin... well... It was born one more eltonite in the world (and for all my life!). There began a new phase in my life: "learning English through Elton's songs"; I had to understand what he sang translating the lyrics (poems) by Bernie, to show them to my friends (who were also becoming "eltonites"), sing for my mother (translating for her the lyrics of "Skyline Pigeon", that she liked so much... yes,my Mom also was becoming a "eltonite"!!). She loved the relaxed and irreverent style of that English singer, his crazy clothes, the piano and the beautiful songs.

All this special mix (voice, piano, Elton's charisma) together with the lyrics from Bernie Taupin made me go in search of the latest releases of his albums. I became a friend of the sellers in a shop where I spent ALL THE MONEY that I saved not buying my lunch at school...!!

The first album I bought was "Empty Sky." I heard it several times when I came home, to learn all the words!

Hahahaha Wow!!! Nice stories to listen, Vera! And what was it like seeing Elton for the first time and how many concerts have you been? And, for you, which member of the band is (or was) irreplaceable? Miss someone, now?

I only had the chance to see just ONE Elton's concert until today (unfortunately)... , but ... wowwww! It was "The SHOW " of my life. On January 19, 2009, in my city and in a place near my house I realized my great dream. It was over 2 months of anxiety (since the day I bought the ticket), the five hours that I spent waiting to enter in the "Apotheosis Square" and to stay very close to the stage in front of the "legendary" piano, seeing Sir Elton pointing the finger at us each camera's flash ... OMG ... it was a magical night, ... We were nearly 30,000 people who could feel the energy in the air.

To sing "Skyline Pigeon" (that he kindly included in the set list knowing our passion for this song), only with Elton, the piano and the crowd, it brought me to tears: "Yes, Mom, I sang this for you!" (she died in 2002).

To me, a member of the band that is irreplaceable is the drummer Nigel Olsson (I was devastated when he left the band in 1975). Thanks God, he's back! I miss so much Dee Murray and Guy Babylon (forever in our hearts and minds).
 
... For always, yes! Which concert do you think now you should been there, for its rellevancy, for the particular show, for a funny costume he wore...?

I would have been at the presentation of the "Troubador" to witness the beginning of "everything"! At Wembley (1984) with Elton and the Band in great shape (they all seem having a great time) and with a setlist that I love! I would also have been in the special and closed presentation that he made here in Brazil (Sala Sao Paulo) to a lucky few, also in January of the last year.

What would you do if you meet Elton sometime? What would you talk about and which question would you like to ask him?

After a few seconds of a "blackout" in my neurons (yes, "seconds", I would have to be faster than his security team! hehehe...), heart beating a mile in a minute, I would bow to greet Sir Elton and say: "Thank you for being so present in my days, your songs are the soundtrack of my life. God bless you." And if dear Elton was still close to me (hehehe...) I would ask what he thought about the idea of some relaxing here in Brazil. He work so hard and deserves to rest. Here in Brazil there's so beautiful beaches to enjoy it with David!

Great!!! What is like being an eltonite in your country? Which are the brazilians preferences in music and which is Elton's place there?

Sometimes I wondered if we were a lot of fans here in Brazil but the frequency that some radio stations always played the Elton's songs (here in my town) made me think there was a "resistance", Elton's fans too quiet, almost hidden, but which would suffice a special event (like the concert last year) to "raise" thousands and thousands of fans.

After the show we get in touch with other fans and realized we were just a "little bit sleepers." All it took was a show to reawaken our passion with all strength! OMG, if Sir Elton would come to Brazil more many times, I'm sure your CD's and DVD's were back in print and sell more! Only two nights in the Summer of 2009 were sufficient to Elton appear in the most important network TV in Brazil (and maybe South America). The first show in Sao Paulo was broadcast to all the country. His songs were played so much on the radio and he was the subject of newspapers and magazines.

I know 3 big fan clubs here (two of them are on Fb.) In Brazil the songs we could hear more often are: Skyline Pigeon (of course), Your Song, Rocket Man, Goodbye Yellow Brickroad, Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, I'm Still Standing, Daniel, Sad Songs, Sacrifice, I Want Love (these are the ones that I hear on the radio, Brazil it's a very big country and each region may have different preferences).

It is delightful to walk into a shop, supermarket, beauty salon... and suddenly start playing a Elton's song in the sound system. In this hours I just smile quietly and think: "mission accomplished" (after the concerts of 2009 we began to ask for Elton's songs on the radio, and they play!!)

Love it!!! What do you think about the new project with Leon Russell? What could we expect about this album? And about T-Bone Burnett as the producer?

Leon Russell is an eclectic musician, moves through several musical genres with so much success (and as well Elton, Leon is a Aryan!). T-Bone Burnnett is another "sacred monster"! Producer of success, dedicated musician with several award nominations and winner of many awards too. We only can expect a fantastic album, of course! Imagine! Elton's talent and charisma flanked by these two great musicians, that will produce incredible music with the best quality.. I just can’t wait for the release!

Which is your Elton's item that you really appreciate, for being hard to get or for the happiness you've got to have it?

Huuummmm .... would be so many things ... but as I only have just purchased items at the site of the Official Fan Club of Elton (t-shirt, cap) I would be happy with an autographed pic, with Elton and I (a request "very easy" to obtain, isn't it???!!! hahaha!!). Ah! I almost forgot! ONE earring (don’t need to be a PAIR of earrings, ok?)

Hahahaha Great asking!!! And finally, could you tell me your five favourite Elton's songs in running order, for my AllSongsList?

Miquel,It's hard to answer this! Well...

*Skyline Pigeon (of course!)
*High Flying Bird
*Philadelphia Freedom
*Someone Saved My Life Tonight
*Your Song

I deserve a bonus track?(rsrsrs):

*Tiny Dancer

Hahahaha Thanks!!! Apart from music, which are your interests? What you like to do with your off time?

I love going to the beach, enjoy the sun, walk in the sand. I also like reading (any literary genre) and being with friends to talk, listen to good music and relax from the stressful routine of work. At last but not at least, to contact with other Elton's fans (in Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil and around the world via the web). After all we just form a big family!

Yes, precisley, would you want to add some observation or suggestion, or something you want to say to other eltonites?

Let us declare to Elton every day (and let him know!) our love and eternal gratitude for being part of our lives in this very special way, singing such beautiful songs and sharing these masterpieces with all of us. God bless you, Sir Elton John!

Thank you so so much Vera, really a pleasure to chat with you. Very interesting things we talked on. It was an enjoyable experience for me. Take care.

No comments: