Total Pageviews

24 Apr 2016

"Tracks on Superhuman made me run an emotional gamut"

I was honored to be asked to review Martin Tillman's new album, Superhuman.  Not being familiar with his work, I decided to do a little research.  Not only is he a world-renowned cellist and composer, I discovered that he played with Elton John and the Band for Elton's 60th birthday celebration at Madison Square Garden.  What's more, Davey Johnstone plays on Superhuman.  Ok, so far so cool.

I went to SoundCloud and saw that the album was categorized as Dance/EDM (Electronic Dance Music).  Hmmmmm.  I'm not very familiar with that genre, but I put on my headphones and gave it a listen.

One word: Awestruck.

The 11 tracks on Superhuman made me run an emotional gamut. And any music that makes me feel something - whatever the emotion - has done its job. From relaxation to exhilaration...from uncertainty to uplifting…from swaying to bopping my head to even humming along at some point...I found the music very intriguing.  It was a somewhat similar experience to the first time I listened to Pnau - I thought I might not like it, but I actually liked it a lot.  Quelle surprise!

After first listen, I'd have to say my favorites right now are Future Dawns, Unlocking the Locks and Translated to Beauty.  Perhaps because (to me) they sounded more like the kind of music I normally listen to - with keyboard and guitar (was that Davey?!)  vs. only synth.

As Mr. Tillman himself said, "Music lets us dream a dream a different existence, and make it our own."  Your music certainly does that for me, sir.  Thank you.

Needless to say, I will be listening to Superhuman many times over again.  Sometimes discovering new music or a new musician is like finding a new friend, which is always a good thing.


My name is Kimberlee Kemble and I'm from Boca Raton, Florida. I've been an Eltonite since almost the very beginning. I had all the albums, the singles, EJ posters plastered on my bedroom wall (my favorites were from "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player"), an EJ candle, the Time Magazine cover, Tiger Beat magazines with EJ on the cover, EJ shirts, an EJ necklace, you name it. If you've seen the video for Original Sin, that's me!

No comments: