Total Pageviews

16 Feb 2008

The Eltonite's Day (VII): today... the one and only... Jera!!!

Hi Jera. Welcome to the “The One” Week. Nice to “meet” you. This album could always count on you to be one of his strongest defenders, specially the first single “The One”... and some time you said about it: “For personal reasons, it’s one of the best Elton’s singles ever”. Seems to have powerful reasons to say that... so, no one but you to dedicate this week’s interview. Thanks for the acceptation, I am so happy you did it!!

But first... Could you tell us, please, who are you and where are you from?
I am Jesse and I am from Finland, and that's why my english isn't the best quality...

Right. When did you became an Eltonite? Remember the first time you heard Elton's music and what moves you to buy his music?
I wasn't ever listened any artist, only movie soundtracks and Wrestling-themes (not anymore 'though...). I was listening random movie music, loaded from web, and suddenly Elton's "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" and "Circle Of Life" came, and I was stunned. I heard them many years ago, but never gave me any special attention to them. So I listened it all over again, again and again and I thought: "Wow.. Such a great musician...". Few weeks later, I saw Elton's collection: "Love Songs" with midprice tag.. so I bought it. My first thoughts were, how great songs are: "Sacrifice", "The One", "Candle In The Wind" etc. And The Lion King tracks too, of course. After "Love Songs", I bought "Greatest Hits 1970-2002" and... That was the beginning.

Wow!! What was it like seeing Elton for the first time and how many concerts have you been? Have you even been front row? And also, could you tell us if you ever have been in touch with him?

I've never seen him live… When I started being his fan in 2005, he came in Helsinki and Turku on November, but I didn’t have any many, so… The only thing I’ve been in some way “in touch with him”, was when I wrote him a letter on December, back in 2006 and was it on January when he answered me: "Thank You For Your Letter, Great English!Elton x". It was funny when he wrote “great english!”,because I said “Ps. sorry for my bad english”. He has such a great sense of humor!

Great. Which is your Elton's item that you really appreciate, for being hard to get or for the happiness you've got to have it?
Well his autograph must be one of those.. It’s really special for me, like the "Made In England – interview" disc too!

Fantastic! And how is being an eltonite in Finland? Which were his number one albums in your country and when began Elton’s success in your country?
I don’t actually know anything about his success here... I could only guess that “Candle In The Wind ’97” was maybe number one back then. But that’s only speculation.

Perfect. You know this is “The One Week”. What do you think about the album? I mean the songs, the lyrics, the artwork design of the album, its success throughout the world... Did Chris Thomas a great job, in your opinion, with the songs?

I think this is one of his best albums and songs, specially the title song, "Simple Life", "The Last Song", "Runaway Train", "When Woman Doesn’t Want You" and "Sweat It Out". Those are great songs, with absolutely great melody and lyrics. The best song is absolutely "The One". So beautiful. Versace did a wonderful job with the cover, and his suits in The One-Tour. Much colours and style, and I like colours very much. Thomas was ok, but promotion could have been bigger and more.

Finally, could you tell me your five favourite Elton's songs in running order, for my AllSongsList?
I’m Still Standing
Circle Of Life
Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting
The One
Crocodile Rock
It's very hard to say only 5.. Those are great, but I’m sure tomorrow I would have a different list. "I’m Still Standing" is my absolute favourite, so a rockin’ great song!

Thank you. Would you want to add some observation or suggestion, or something you want to say to other eltonites?
Keep listening Elton’s music and have wonderful times, while listening it!

Oh, once you explained of being the leader of a Morning Assembly, about Elton. And you explained that “Everybody hated me few weeks after that, They just don't like good music!”. Which was the reason? And now, they aprreciated Elton’s music or not, as then?
Well, it is always “battle of classes”, who has best morning assembly, and everyone likes if the assembly is funny, but that was of course more biographical than funny! There was no humour, but it was great in my opinion. Almost all youngsters today listens some hip-hop or heavy metal or something, what I dislike. They dislikes good old music from ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s... And very surprisingly, almost no one knew who Elton was! That was surprise for me. My class did like when I put "Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting" on, so they’re not all bad!

Thank you very much Jesse, really a pleasure to chat with you. Take care.

No comments: